10 Rules for a Healthy Relationship: Jeremy J. Lanning MA, LPC
“As a person who is voluntarily in this loving and committed relationship, I choose to______”
- Believe the best about my partner / spouse.
- Recognize my partner / spouse is in this relationship by choice.
- Not withhold anything I’m willing to freely give.
- Recognize that it is my responsibility to be a “good spouse / partner.”
- Understand that it takes two people to make a marriage/ relationship work, and one person to end it.
- Recognize that “space” is not mine to give.
- Believe that our differences as human beings make us stronger, more efficient, and better for each other.
- Define love as a verb.
- Understand that my relationship with my partner / spouse, is unlike any other relationship in my life and because of that, different rules and behaviors apply.
- Recognize that, above all else, our goal is to “make it” in a healthy and thriving way.